Published: March 25, 2025 ✍️ Author: Global World News Desk 🌐 Source: GlobalWorldCitizen.com
(GWC) – Susya, West Bank:
Hamdan Ballal, the Palestinian co-director of the Oscar-winning documentary No Other Land, was reportedly assaulted by Israeli settlers and detained by Israeli soldiers in the occupied West Bank, according to eyewitnesses, fellow filmmakers, and international activists present at the scene.
The incident occurred near Ballal’s home in the village of Susya, where he resides and continues to farm despite ongoing tensions in the area. Ballal had called his co-director, Basel Adra, in distress. When Adra arrived at the scene, he witnessed Ballal being taken away by Israeli forces, alongside at least one other person.
Adra reported that a group of Israeli settlers were gathered outside Ballal’s home, throwing stones. Israeli military and police personnel were also on site. According to Adra, Israeli soldiers fired warning shots to prevent people from approaching.
Conflicting Accounts
In a statement, the Israeli military said its forces responded to a “violent confrontation” involving stone-throwing between Palestinians and Israelis. The army claimed the clash began after several individuals allegedly damaged settler vehicles, and confirmed that three Palestinians and one Israeli were detained for questioning.
However, activists and co-directors of the film suggest a different account. Yuval Abraham, the Israeli co-director of No Other Land, said Ballal sustained injuries to his head and abdomen, and has not been heard from since his detention. Abraham did not witness the assault directly but expressed deep concern over his colleague’s wellbeing.
International Activists Also Targeted
Several international activists from the U.S.-based organization Center for Jewish Nonviolence (CJNV) were also reportedly attacked during the incident. According to witnesses, more than a dozen masked Israeli settlers stormed the area wielding batons, knives, and at least one firearm following a dispute related to settler encroachment near a Palestinian home.
One activist, speaking anonymously for safety, told CNN their group was attacked by around 20 settlers. “We tried to retreat to our car, but they hit us with sticks and smashed our windows,” she said. Dashcam footage later released by CJNV shows a masked figure hurling a rock at the windshield, shattering it.
Another activist, Josh Kimelman, said Israeli soldiers observed the incident but did not intervene. “We told them we were under attack. They said ‘everything will be fine’ and stood by without acting.”
Ballal’s Story: From Farmland to Film
Ballal, who is both a farmer and filmmaker, co-directed No Other Land alongside Adra, Abraham, and Yuval Abraham. The film—which recently won the Oscar for Best Documentary—portrays the ongoing eviction and demolition of Palestinian communities in the West Bank, particularly in Masafer Yatta, where Adra and his family live.
Ballal had previously shared with CNN that settlers had repeatedly attempted to take over his farmland—sometimes by grazing livestock on his land while he slept. He documented verbal threats, harassment, and the escalation of aggression following the Hamas attacks of October 7, 2023.
“No Other Land” serves as both personal testimony and collective documentary, chronicling the destruction of homes, playgrounds, and the killing of Adra’s brother, while highlighting a rare partnership between Palestinian and Israeli filmmakers working toward a common truth.
Escalation in Settler Violence
The reported attack on Ballal comes amid a surge in settler violence in the West Bank. A recent report by Israeli watchdog groups Peace Now and Kerem Navot reveals that herding outposts—unauthorized settler encampments—have increased by nearly 50% since the outbreak of war in late 2023. These outposts are often linked to land seizure and the displacement of Palestinian communities.
A Call for Protection and Accountability
The assault on an internationally recognized filmmaker, alongside the targeting of international peace activists, underscores the rising tensions and urgent need for international oversight and human rights protection in the region.
Ballal’s whereabouts and condition remain unclear at the time of publication.
GlobalWorldCitizen.com will continue to follow this developing story and amplify voices advocating for peace, justice, and the safety of all global citizens—regardless of nationality or background.
Editor’s Note: At Global World Citizen, we stand for truth, humanity, and the right of all individuals—artists, farmers, civilians, and activists—to live with dignity and safety. This story is a reminder that the global community must remain vigilant and united in defending fundamental human rights.
(GWC) – Susya, West Bank:
Hamdan Ballal, the Palestinian co-director of the Oscar-winning documentary No Other Land, was reportedly assaulted by Israeli settlers and detained by Israeli soldiers in the occupied West Bank, according to eyewitnesses, fellow filmmakers, and international activists present at the scene.
The incident occurred near Ballal’s home in the village of Susya, where he resides and continues to farm despite ongoing tensions in the area. Ballal had called his co-director, Basel Adra, in distress. When Adra arrived at the scene, he witnessed Ballal being taken away by Israeli forces, alongside at least one other person.
Adra reported that a group of Israeli settlers were gathered outside Ballal’s home, throwing stones. Israeli military and police personnel were also on site. According to Adra, Israeli soldiers fired warning shots to prevent people from approaching.
Conflicting Accounts
In a statement, the Israeli military said its forces responded to a “violent confrontation” involving stone-throwing between Palestinians and Israelis. The army claimed the clash began after several individuals allegedly damaged settler vehicles, and confirmed that three Palestinians and one Israeli were detained for questioning.
However, activists and co-directors of the film suggest a different account. Yuval Abraham, the Israeli co-director of No Other Land, said Ballal sustained injuries to his head and abdomen, and has not been heard from since his detention. Abraham did not witness the assault directly but expressed deep concern over his colleague’s wellbeing.
International Activists Also Targeted
Several international activists from the U.S.-based organization Center for Jewish Nonviolence (CJNV) were also reportedly attacked during the incident. According to witnesses, more than a dozen masked Israeli settlers stormed the area wielding batons, knives, and at least one firearm following a dispute related to settler encroachment near a Palestinian home.
One activist, speaking anonymously for safety, told CNN their group was attacked by around 20 settlers. “We tried to retreat to our car, but they hit us with sticks and smashed our windows,” she said. Dashcam footage later released by CJNV shows a masked figure hurling a rock at the windshield, shattering it.
Another activist, Josh Kimelman, said Israeli soldiers observed the incident but did not intervene. “We told them we were under attack. They said ‘everything will be fine’ and stood by without acting.”
Ballal’s Story: From Farmland to Film
Ballal, who is both a farmer and filmmaker, co-directed No Other Land alongside Adra, Abraham, and Yuval Abraham. The film—which recently won the Oscar for Best Documentary—portrays the ongoing eviction and demolition of Palestinian communities in the West Bank, particularly in Masafer Yatta, where Adra and his family live.
Ballal had previously shared with CNN that settlers had repeatedly attempted to take over his farmland—sometimes by grazing livestock on his land while he slept. He documented verbal threats, harassment, and the escalation of aggression following the Hamas attacks of October 7, 2023.
“No Other Land” serves as both personal testimony and collective documentary, chronicling the destruction of homes, playgrounds, and the killing of Adra’s brother, while highlighting a rare partnership between Palestinian and Israeli filmmakers working toward a common truth.
Escalation in Settler Violence
The reported attack on Ballal comes amid a surge in settler violence in the West Bank. A recent report by Israeli watchdog groups Peace Now and Kerem Navot reveals that herding outposts—unauthorized settler encampments—have increased by nearly 50% since the outbreak of war in late 2023. These outposts are often linked to land seizure and the displacement of Palestinian communities.
A Call for Protection and Accountability
The assault on an internationally recognized filmmaker, alongside the targeting of international peace activists, underscores the rising tensions and urgent need for international oversight and human rights protection in the region.
Ballal’s whereabouts and condition remain unclear at the time of publication.
GlobalWorldCitizen.com will continue to follow this developing story and amplify voices advocating for peace, justice, and the safety of all global citizens—regardless of nationality or background.
Editor’s Note: At Global World Citizen, we stand for truth, humanity, and the right of all individuals—artists, farmers, civilians, and activists—to live with dignity and safety. This story is a reminder that the global community must remain vigilant and united in defending fundamental human rights.